Sports quotes can motivate you to work hard and persevere. However, they are not only pertinent to athletes but also for people who wants to succeed. Sports are the epitome of devotion and lots of hard work. In order to reach the peak of your sport, you have to give it all.
Most people watch sports not only because of the excitement but also because of the drama that it brings. There’s nothing more exciting that watching your favorite team come back to win the championship. Sports are more about those marvelous moments wherein the players are able to overcome the odds due to their will and determination. These are surely the best moments that are worth remembering.
That is why, it’s not a surprise that these successful athletes have some motivational and inspiring things to say with regards to their hard work, persistence, supremacy and of course winning the game. As we look back on those emotional moments of sports history, memories of the most promising and courageous sportsmen began to flood the scene. Their ecstatic statements have captivated us, making us believe that impossible things can happen.
Why Are Sports Important?
What is it about sports that a lot of athletes are very much interested in showing their abilities. Is it about the competition, the elegance, the history or simply their devoted athleticism? In the book, “Homo Ludens”, Johan Huizinga contends that human beings are absolutely unique not because we can think but because we are able to play. For him, play is not just kids putting up some blocks together. He depicts play as something truly essential. Every kind of sports has its own rules. If the players are able to accept them then the magic will emanate. However, if the referee does not function well and the rules are violated then everything will fall apart. Without the rules, your game will be meaningless.
The sports world is much the same as the business world. It deals with training, competition, dedication and of course winners and losers. Simply put, aspiring sportsmen can obtain motivation from successful businessmen. Conversely, business leaders can acquire inspiration from the most prevalent athletes. With this in mind, we’ve scoured 52 of the best sports quotes from legendary athletes. Whether you require a little push or just starting out, these inspiring quotes can surely kick your motivation into a higher level. Before we look back at these inspiring sports quotes, why not grab some tissues as well as punching bags ’cause it’s going to get feisty in here.
52 Inspirational Sports Quotes with Images
1. A champion is someone who gets up when he can’t.
What sets champions apart from the other players is their integrity and determination to win.
2. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
This is one of the most popular sports quotes from Michael Jordan which proves that even the greatest can still fail.
3. A trophy carries dust. Memories last forever.
The thrill of winning is the most memorable moment of the champions.
4. I never worry about the problem. I worry about the solution.
This is the exact approach of champions. Rather than getting lost in the problem they look for answers.
5. To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.
Each person has his own ability. No matter if its big or small, you have to give it all.
6. Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths.
You need to develop your strength through persistence and hard work so that you can enjoy the glory of winning.
7. Persistence can change failure into extraordinary achievement.
Matt Biondi was an 11-time medalist in swimming.
8. If you are afraid of failure you don’t deserve to be successful!
Even champions also have their own weaknesses. If you are afraid to fail then you can never succeed.
9. If you don’t have confidence, you’ll always find a way not to win.
This is one of the greatest sports quotes from one of the greatest athletes in history. Lewis never compared his achievements with anyone, rather he focused on competing against himself.
10. Nobody who ever gave his best regretted it.
If you are in the middle of a competition, you have to give it your best.
11. Run when you can, walk if you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up.
In these inspirational sports quotes, you can learn the valuable lesson of pouring everything you’ve got in every preparation and competition.
12. Obstacles don’t have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don’t turn around and give up.
In every game, always expect the unexpected.
13. In baseball and in business, there are three types of people. Those who make it happen…
In any sports, it’s always the winners who can make things happen.
14. There may be people that have more talent than you, but there’s no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
Don’t stop training yourself so that you are always prepared.
15. A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.
Winners always look ahead.
16. If you aren’t going all the way, why go at all?
Make sure that you are doing it right.
17. Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don’t win once in a while…
Having a mentality that you are set out to win can let you win in every competition.
18. It’s not the will to win that matters — everyone has that. It’s the will to prepare to win that matters.
Bear Bryant always wins. In fact, he has more winnings than Nick Saban.
19. Always make a total effort, even when the odds are against you.
When facing obstacles, try to rise above it.
20. Success is where preparation and opportunity meet.
You can only enjoy the glory of winning if you are well prepared.
21. If you have everything under control, you’re not moving fast enough.
Playing it safe may not always be beneficial.
22. Champions keep playing until they get it right.
Never expect that you are perfect.
23. Today, you have 100% of your life left.
If you don’t win today, there’s always hope for tomorrow and the day after that. Just because you did not win today, doesn’t mean that you’ll never will.
24. There may be people that have more talent than you, but there’s no excuse for anyone…
Winning is not all about talent. Working hard can take you to places that talent can’t.
25. You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them.
You need to have a clear vision of your goals.
26. Never say never because limits, like fears, are often just an illusion.
Whenever you have mental blocks, it can create fears and doubts in reaching your goals. However, it is just your mind playing tricks on you.
27. A champion is simply someone who did not give up when he wanted to.
Some people never accomplished their dreams because they simply give up.
28. Winning isn’t everything, but wanting to win is.
If you want to win then you need to go much further. The most important aspect in achieving success is the desire to succeed.
29. Somewhere behind the athlete you’ve become and the hours of practice and the coaches who have pushed you…
Nurture your passion.
30. The more difficult the victory, the greater the happiness in winning.
Enjoy your achievements.
31. Age is no barrier. It’s a limitation you put on your mind.
No one is never too old to start accomplishing their dreams.
32. It’s not easy to part with the trophies. However, I do need to have some long-term financial security…
Björn Rune Borg was the world’s No. 1 tennis player during his time. He is considered as one of the greatest tennis players in history.
33. The more successful you are, the more people will want out of you.
Petros “Pete” Sampras was a former world No. 1 tennis player who has won a total of 14 grand slams.
34. It’s hard to beat a person who never gives up.
In every game, Babe Ruth always prevailed in strikeouts and home runs. It’s because he never gave up.
35. Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
If you have perseverance and endurance then you can get anything you want.
36. If you don’t practice you don’t deserve to win.
Andre Kirk Agassi was a former World No. 1 tennis player who became prevalent during the early 1990s up to the mid-2000s.
37. Remember this. Hold on to this. This is the only perfection there is, the perfection of helping others.
Never forget to give back.
38. It isn’t the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it’s the pebble in your shoe.
Prepare yourself in facing your biggest challenges.
39. Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard.
It is a fact the there are numerous people in this world who are talented. However, talent is not enough. What separates the good from the great is work ethic and dedication.
40. You can’t put a limit on anything. The more you dream, the farther you get.
Anything can be possible as long as you work hard.
41. If you can’t outplay them, outwork them.
It doesn’t matter if you have natural talent, the only way that you can develop your ability is through hard work.
42. It is not the size of a man but the size of his heart that matters.
Evander Holyfield was one of the greatest heavyweight fighters who has beaten just about anyone. He always worked hard in every fight and now he retired without any regrets.
43. I’ve learned that something constructive comes from every defeat.
There is always a lesson learned each time you fail. If you are afraid that you might not win then you will never be.
44. You’re never a loser until you quit trying.
Champions work. That is why they are champions. If you stop working then you will a loser.
45. Nobody beat Vitas Gerulaitis 17 times in a row.
This is one of the funniest sports quotes that is used by tennis players every time they finish a long-standing streak against their competitor.
46. He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.
Aside from talent and hard work, you also need to take risks in order to become a champion.
47. It ain’t over ’til it’s over.
This is one of the most inspiring sports quotes of all time. When asked about their chances of winning, Yogi simply used this response.
48. It is more difficult to stay on top than to get there.
Staying on top means pushing yourself much harder.
49. Winners never quit and quitters never win.
If you want to become a winner then you should never quit. In fact, the only way that you can win is to make your opponent quit.
50. What makes something special is not just what you have to gain, but what you feel there is to lose.
When you are consistently on top then every game matters because you have everything to lose.
51. You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.
This is one of the most motivational sports quotes from the most excellent hockey player. It tells us to take risks or else you can never make it.
52. Set your goals high, and don’t stop till you get there.
Never settle for anything less.
These inspiring sports quotes are not only applicable in sports. In fact, it can also be applicable in almost any situation in life. Regardless what sports you’re participating in, motivate yourself to work hard. Have the determination to become a champion!